Thursday, July 21, 2022

A sign of the times

 I was in Red Earth reading an article in a book about the ancient Roman custom of Augury, basically when embarking on a new phase of your life you interpreted omens from the birds.

NOT FOR ME!

Thankfully they also said that if you are undertaking a new project and are looking for guidance you just give yourself an Augury Day, where you give the day over to God/the universe /karma or whatever it is you believe in and look out for omens or signs, maybe you see or hear the same words or numbers over and over again, or you may get advice from a very unlikely source,

That's sounds a lot better than the birds, so I decided that I would give it a try. As part of the new chapter of my life I was considering turning my "office" into a dressing room. 

Firstly I would like to clarify that "office" is a very loose term, as recently it has become more of a dump room, full of boxes, old school books and "fearas"*

*primary teachers will understand what I'm talking about!

Secondly, with my recent goal of not buying any new clothes for a year and wearing what I've got, I've discovered that there are bits of me all over the house and I'd love to have it all together in one place. It would make life much easier.

I wasn't sure if that was the way to go. Maybe I'm just being too pretentious having a "dressing room", who do I think I am, a Kardashian???

Anyway I popped into Mullingar Furniture World as they were having a sale.

Just inside the door I met a lovely, older lady who was coming out, aided by a walking stick.

She immediately started talking to me, saying how lovely all the furniture was and how she'd love to win the lotto! I don't know why, but I found myself telling her what I was thinking of doing.

She looked at me and said,

" When I was younger I thought that I had to save all my money for when I was older and not spend any of it frivolously. Now that I am older, I find that I haven't the interest or energy to do the thing that I thought I would. That's my one regret. Do it now while you can."  

I took that as my omen and here is the first purchase for my new dressing room!



As I was paying for it, I told the salesman what had happened. It then struck me.

"Was that your mother that you had planted to get people to spend more money?"

He laughed and replied,

"NO, but what a great idea. I'm going to get her on the payroll straight away!"

And he then proceeded to take a further E25 off the price.

Happy Augury Day to you all !

 



No comments:

Post a Comment