Thursday, August 11, 2022

In Flight entertainment

 


I was flying home from Scotland last night.

I wasn't ACTUALLY  flying, I was on a plane.

I had been anxious about going on holiday. I mean I hadn't been in an airplane for over three years and then there was the queuing fiasco at the airports. Flight over went without a hitch  and the flight back was........

delayed for over two hours! We were supposed to take off at 9.30 but  didn't board until after midnight.

By that time I was exhausted and ready for a little nap on the flight home. But it was not to be.

A few rows back there was a young woman, in her early twenties sitting on the aisle seat and across from her was a VERY handsome man in his mid twenties. Well she wasn't wasting that opportunity.

Even before take off she started the conversation.....and I swear she never took a breath for the whole flight home. She...and I (by default, I wasn't eavesdropping I couldn't help hearing the whole conversation) discovered his name, where he was from ( New York), why he was going to Ireland         ( researching a book he was writing)...my ears pricked up even further when I heard that, where he had ever travelled to in his life, where he would like to go to, where he should go to in Ireland....and so on.

At one stage I really felt like quietly taking her aside and advising her to pause once in a while and allowing him time to answer fully and maybe even start a topic of conversation of his own choice. But I figured that was too forward of me, though I did come very close when she started to teach him how to say "Hello" and ask someone's name and give your own name IN IRISH!!!

I swear, we had a lesson on 

"Dia duit" and "Cad is ainm duit?" and " X is ainm dom."

And as he struggled with the unusual Gaelic phonics I had to bit my lip to prevent myself from blurting out

"You're wasting your time. NO ONE SPEAKS IRISH IN IRELAND. You'll be grand with your English."

After 45 minutes the pilot's voice came over the intercom

"Cabin crew, prepare for descent."

I immediately thought

"Fair dues girl. Now he better make a move before we land."

But there was no talk of meeting up on his trip or of her being his tour guide.

The plane landed, we stood up to retrieve our overhead luggage. I was keeping an eye on proceedings, what can I say, I was totally invested by this stage.

He got his luggage and said

"It was nice meeting you," and went off down the aisle.

I don't know about her, but I was very disappointed in him. I mean she had played a blinder for almost an hour and who could blame her.

I half expected to hear an appeal on the radio today from a lovestruck woman who was looking to meet up with the hunk who had been on her flight last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment