Tuesday, April 12, 2022

The shows must go on......

 On Saturday night the girlies were in town to see The Addams Family-the musical in the Gaeity theatre.


We took our seats and sat back for a night of pure wacky entertainment. It was coming near to the end of the show and Gomez had just told Morticia that he was whisking her off to the sewers of Paris for a romantic break, when there was a high pitched siren followed by an announcement

"Please make your way in a calm manner to the nearest exit."

Typical Irish response. We looked at the stage to see what they were doing as we thought it was part of the scene, well it was that kind of show. They were moving in a calm manner off the stage, so we figured it must be genuine. As we moved towards the exit my mind went into catastrophic overdrive.

"What political unrest could be behind this?"

"How old is the Gaeity? It's probably like a tinderbox and will spontaneously combust before we make it out?"

Mere minutes later we were standing at the front of the building and they were shepherding us back in for the finale. We had enough at that stage and headed to The Hairy Lemon!

On Monday I was heading to Chicago- the musical, not the cold, windy city.


All day on the news the only thing I could hear was that the truckers' protest was bringing parts of Dublin to a standstill. As Bord Gais is on Grand Canal dock, I figured that would be affected. Again, my catastrophising mind took over.

"What time do I need to set out to get there on time, taking huge traffic jams into account?"

"Is it worth while even trying to get there? What if I get stuck in a jam and I can't turn back and I'll be there all night and I'll want to go to the loo and I'll run out of diesel and I'll die of thirst in my car?"

Anyway I set off in plenty of time....and sailed down the quays, over O'Connell bridge, across Samuel Beckett bridge and parked up 45 minutes before I was due to meet Emer. Never had I gotten there that quickly. There was no traffic at all. Everyone else must have been afraid to venture out.

We had a pre-show meal in Milanos. I had to head to the loo first. After we had eaten I stood up to leave and felt a bit draughty at the back. Yes, my skirt was tucked into my knickers!!! Luckily our table was at the back of the restaurant near the toilets, so I hadn't flashed too many people on my way back!!!!

It was well worth the panic attacks. Chicago was brilliant. The dancers were amazing and have made me never want to eat again!

Orchestra doing an  "End-of-the-show" show.



No comments:

Post a Comment