Monday, June 21, 2021

Day 9: Backing the wrong horse.

 I had to go to Athlone to get my second vaccine.

I'd have travelled ANYWHERE to get it!

Afterwards I travelled on to Roscommon to Helena and Mike's. On the way I had a little moment when I thought to myself

"Am I supposed to be travelling this far?"

Answer: YES. Inter-county travel is now permitted. Relax.

On Sunday Helena and I were travelling into Carrick-on-Shannon. Mike asked us to place a bet on a horse for him.

Now, Helena and I are no strangers to the races but we wouldn't really be "bookie" girls. But we decided to brave it.

We placed Mike's bet and then decided to have a little flutter ourselves. The first problem that we encountered was that there were no Irish races on today. Little as we know about Irish horses, we know even less about English ones. Not to be outsmarted we studied the lists that were on the wall and chose our horses, based 100% on their names.

We placed our bets and then sat down to watch the first one on the screens.


Imagine our shock when they suddenly changed and they were all showing GREYHOUND racing instead of the horses!


We really had no idea whether we had backed horses or dogs! And we were too embarrassed to ask anyone. 
Blonde Bimbos!

We stood our ground for a few moments and eventually discovered we had actually backed.....horses!
Phew!
And here's me, later on that day,  buying a yacht out of my winnings........NOT!




No comments:

Post a Comment