Friday, April 1, 2022

Expanding your social life

 I have joined a new group called Social Life  

It's aim is to organise events to make it easier to make new friends and to have fun.

The goal is to provide a wide variety of events to choose from, at each event you will meet new people and some familiar faces too. Events range from dinner, wine tasting, cookery & gin making classes, historical coach & walking tours, to hiking & kayaking, there is something for everyone.

The first outing was to 14 Henrietta Street, a social history museum, tracing life in the building from Georgian times in the 1700s when it was home to one wealthy family,


 to  tenement times in the early 1900s, when it housed over 100 people
.



I had an extra interest in this event, apart from meeting new people. I am doing research on Mary Molesworth who lived in the mid 1700s. Her childhood was spent in Dublin in the family home of her father Viscount Molesworth. I had googled where this family home was, incorrectly thinking it must have been on Molesworth Street, seeing as they named it after him.

But that would have been too obvious.

I figured that getting to see any Georgian house in Dublin would give me some insight into her life so I signed up for the event.



From the moment the group of us met and were introduced to each other by our fab organiser Chris,  outside on the steps of 14 Henrietta Street it felt like we were a group of old friends. A bit of craic and banter and then the tour started.

We were seated in one of the main rooms on the first floor. Our tour guide Pat started his talk ........and I got major goosebumps.

Welcome to 14 Henrietta Street which was the original home of .....Viscount Molesworth.


WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF THAT HAPPENING? I thought I was hearing things.

Of all the houses in Dublin I just happened to visit the one that I had been searching for, but couldn't find.

It was meant to be!

Of course I paid extra attention to the talk. Afterwards I told Pat of my vested interest and he showed me a photo of Viscount Molesworth's great great great.....grand-daughter who had been to visit the house a few months previous.

After working up an appetite we headed to Brother Hubbards for a fabulous lunch.

Oops, I've just reread this and it sounds like myself and Pat worked up an appetite and headed for lunch. No! Myself and the rest of the group went!!!



Even apart from my stroke of good luck, it was a brilliant day out. I would thoroughly recommend the group 

www.Sociallife.ie

Chris Diviney

Founder

0830864235



Who knows I might see you on the next outing?


No comments:

Post a Comment